There are just as many black leather sofas in family rooms as brown ones these days all over the country so if you are looking for an update or need black or a dark colour because you have kids, here are my recommendations:
1. How about this one in fabric?
This is IKEA’s Stockholm sofa. It comes in two pieces so it fits through the hallways of a small condo. I would nix the two cushions on each side and do regular decorative pillows.
2. With a green area Rug from IKEA
3. A trendy coffee table from Crate & Barrel
4. A fun chair or two in a coordinating fabric introducing white which pops with black and a strong colour. Use a sunbrella fabric with kids and pets and then have something washable.
5. Where to put the TV
The other day a client asked where I would suggest bookshelves in her family room. She already had one wall with a flat screen TV sitting on a low entertainment unit. My recommendation was to get rid of that piece and install a wall unit with bookshelves on each side. Otherwise, if you install a row of bookcases on an adjoining wall it leaves the TV wall looking empty.
There are many configurations to choose from to create a place to store your books and what-nots but if you do it on one wall instead of splitting it up, it looks better. Also I would choose white because black might be too heavy (especially if you already have black furniture).
6. Or if you prefer blue over green how about this chair?
7. And this carpet with just a little hit of black to tie in the sofa:
8. And two X chairs because they are so versatile and look good sitting anywhere, in front of the fireplace, underneath a console table. . .
9. Books wrapped in twine
If you have bookshelves, buy stacks of coffee table books or use your own collection. They are necessary to create pedestals for accessories. And you know those books wrapped in twine that you can buy already looking natural and neutral at Restoration Hardware? Well you can put them together the same way yourself: